For the Love of Bone Broths
Most quality soup recipes will champion meat bones because there is nothing better than a meaty and robust tasting soup. However, there are not only tasty benefits to using bones for stock but nutritious benefits also. Read on to learn everything you need to know about the greatness of bone broths and why you should include more of them in your diet every day.
- Nutrients are abundant in bones, as well as amino acids and proteins. The exact nutritional content will vary as a result of cooking time, cooking method and the type of bones used, however they are consistently found in the majority of bone broths.
- Bones are full of minerals such as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. Be mindful thought that an acidic medium such as vinegar is necessary to best extract these minerals from the bone.
- Cardiovascular health can be greatly improved because of the abundance of glycine in bone broth. Glycine regulates blood sugars by controlling gluconeogenesis, can counteract the negative effects of dietary fructose consumption and can also reduce the size of heart attacks.
- When drinking bone broth the body is supplied with all the necessary nutrients to maintain and build healthy bones such as calcium, phosphorus and amino acids. Similarly, bone broth also improves joint health due to the presence of GAG’s (which allow joint range of motion).
- Bone broth is commonly used to improve gut health. This is because of the presence of gelatine. Gelatin absorbs water and maintains the mucous layer in the colon to keep gut microbes away from the intestines.
- Skin barrier function including structural and nutritive support for skin health requires karatin, collagen and GAGs which are all found in bone broth.
The potential health benefits of bone broth are undeniably incredible, a testament to why bone broth has been used for centuries in a number of different cultures. Bone broth can be made at home or can be bought pre-made such as our Golden Pig & Co bone broths available in Vietnamese Pho Bone Broth or Turmeric & Lemongrass Chicken Bone Broth flavours.
Include bone broths in your diet today!